Well, my boss is wearing the Aboriginal print dress today, and the compliments have been non-stop! Everyone has been asking where she got it from and saying how much they love it! I’m over the moon with how it turned out, I was happy enough that she liked it but to hear at least six people this morning comment on it is amazing.
I’m taking part in a crewel embroidery course run by the Embroiderers’ Guild NSW, the course is no longer offered but I signed up in the last intake. I’ve submitted two modules so far, the first being a traditional crewel design with a snail in the middle (see photo below). The second module I hated working with a passion (photo below) – it was basically focussing on trellis and couching stitches. I just couldn’t get the stitches as even and perfect as I wanted them to be. I am a bit of a stitching perfectionist which is why it often takes me so long to finish a piece of embroidery, because if a stitch or section of a design is supposed to be square, I will do my best to make it a square – if couching lines are supposed to be straight with the couching stitches 1/4 inch apart, I will unpick and re-do until they are perfect. I have had an ongoing goldwork project on my to do list for about five years for this reason, I want the couching stitches to be perfectly evenly spaced. OCD I know!
Anyway, I strayed off topic there for a second. The third module is focussing on Deerfield and as I mentioned in a previous post, I kind of put this on the backburner because I decided that I really didn’t like the fabric supplied in my kit, and furthermore I didn’t like the design I originally chose. So off to my local embroidery store I went in search of new fabric. I didn’t find exactly what I had in mind but it is a nicer fabric to work with than the original, and considering it is due to be stitched and posted in for marking by 10 February, I will need to just get over my issues and get cracking. I’ve ended up adapting another design of my own, from a couple of Deerfield designs featured in past issues of Inspirations magazine. I will keep you updated on my progress!
I have just finished stitching the Aboriginal print dress for my boss, it’s now in the wash with a ton of fabric softener, I’ll post a photo of that when dry & ironed. Happy stitching!
This week, I’ve been doing some dressmaking. I’ve been using some Japanese dress patterns as they are really light and comfortable to wear, and very easy and quick to cut out and put together. As usual, as soon as I turn my back, Miss Zoe the cat decides she wants to help. This is Zoe “helping” cut a pattern out. I shouldn’t complain this time, last time she spilt my dish of pins and ate about 4 metres of sewing cotton…..
I’ve finished a dress for myself which is currently in the wash so I will post a final photo once it’s clean and ironed.
I made the same dress for my boss in a different fabric, a blue/green/brown stripe – an in-progress photo is below, although more progress has been made since I took that photo – essentially it is now finished, I just need to hem it.
I have also taken a bite of courage and cut out another dress for my boss – this one was supposed to be her Christmas present but I just didn’t get to it in time. I say “take a bit of courage” because the fabric is a pretty pink cotton hand printed with gold paint by silk screening by an Aboriginal artist. My boss is a fan of Aboriginal art and fabric so I sourced this online from the Northern Territory and because it is hand printed and by a well known artist, it cost a small fortune. I wanted to use it for something a bit special. She also likes Japanese dress patterns and has bought me a couple of my books, so after hours of pouring over the pages of my Japanese stash, I ended up going with the cover dress on one of the books, it is shown below in blue but I have taken a photo of the fabric as I was cutting the pieces. I have made it longer than on the cover, as she prefers them to come just below her knee. I hope she likes the finished product!