Three dresses in progress

As mentioned yesterday, I have three new dresses in progress – one much needed one for myself, and two for my boss – gotta keep the boss happy!

I had some time at lunch yesterday to cut them out, and have managed to overlock and pin them today.  I’ve made good progress on these so far so hopefully they will be finished within a few days.

I’m using a pattern that I have used previously – the one that I made for my boss out of the pink & gold Aboriginal print fabric (shown below on the front cover of Stylish Dress Book).  I’m not 100% positive that it is particularly my style, but I’m willing to give it a go, especially since I picked up the lilac cotton fabric at a bargain price.  Hey, if I don’t like it when it’s on I can always sell it, can’t I!

In the photos below, you’ll see the three dresses – the lilac cotton is for myself, and the pale grey check and orange elephant are for my boss.  I very nearly stuffed up the elephant print when cutting out and in fact upon pinning them together today I have realised that I did in fact stuff up cutting out the sleeves so I need to cut into more fabric to fix that up.  Obviously it’s a directional print, I cut the front piece first with the elephants’ legs at the bottom as they should be, and when I looked again, I had pinned the back piece with the elephants’ legs at the top so they were standing on their heads – oops!  Lucky I noticed that before I actually cut the fabric!

It is quite early in the season but it is absolutely freezing here where I work in the Southern Highlands.  I have realised how depleted of warm winter clothing my wardrobe is, so I have set myself a goal of making myself at least one new garment every fortnight until the end of winter.  Hopefully the motivation stays with me as I unfortunately can’t just rug up in jeans, jumpers and ugg boots to work each day!

I received my Deerfield embroidery back in the post yesterday from being marked for the course I’m participating in.  I was very happy with the comments although I only had a very quick read.  I will post a final photo and summary of my course progress so far at a later stage.

 

photo 4 photo 1 photo 2 photo 3

Advertisements

Two finished dresses

These are two dresses I’ve been working on lately which I’ve posted in-progress photos of previously.  I made them using a Japanese dress pattern, they are soooo quick and easy to put together.  The floral one is mine, and the stripey one is for my boss.  Of course, we both ended up wearing them to work today!  She has dressed hers up with a nice green belt which makes us look just a little less like twins.  As I’ve uploaded the photos, they seem to be a bit poor quality because of the chandelier light we have in our lounge room, I will try taking better photos of these at another stage.

The next dress on my sewing machine is the Aboriginal print dress for my boss.  Following that will be a nice, bright one for myself – I’m just trying to settle on which pattern to use!  In the meantime, I have discovered that I have an embroidery assessment due on 10 February, so that may take up all my spare time in the next couple of weeks – I had pushed it aside over Christmas and forgotten when it was due – oops!  I better get cracking on that.  Happy stitching!

photo 1 photo 2

Christmas, Oriental quilt and dressmaking

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and you’ve all had a chance to recover from the festivities.

I was lucky enough to be given some fantastic presents including an embroidery kit for a project by Hazel Blomkamp (see Midnight Meander http://www.hazelblomkamp.co.za/component/virtuemart/02-patterns-and-kits/crewel-twists/02-midnight-meander/midnight-meander-full-kit-detail?Itemid=0 – this will have to be added to my project list at some stage!), a Japanese dressmaking book which is (unfortunately?) in Japanese so I will be attempting to Google Translate the sections I can’t work out from the pictures, and a voucher for a local quilt shop.  I was with my grandmother when she bought the voucher for the quilt shop, and managed to convince the shopkeepers to hold off on opening their recently received shipment of Downton Abbey fabrics until I can get there when they re-open in the new year, for first pick of the new fabrics!

Today I went on a little trip with my mother in law down to a different local quilt shop and finished purchasing the coordinating fabrics needed to start and complete an Oriental quilt for a wonderful friend of mine.  Below are a couple of the photos I have taken tonight, a little snippet of the fabrics which will be used (along with an off white background with black backing and binding), cutting the main fabrics into strips and pinning them together to be stitched.  I’m hoping to get these strips stitched over the next day or two.  The photo below of the blue and white quilt is the pattern I’m using for this quilt.

I dug out my gran’s embroidered basket quilt and tomorrow will have a good look at it and refresh my memory as to what we decided on doing with the quilt top.  I need to have it ready by the end of the week to give to a friend of mine to quilt over the school holidays.  A photo of that is below.

Finally, I have also managed to get my poor sick overlocker working again, and have overlocked a dress for myself and stitched it together (photo below).  I have the binding around the neckline and armholes pinned and ready to be stitched.  I’m hoping to have this complete before starting back at work in around a week’s time.  I had a major clean out of my wardrobe about two months ago and desperately need some new clothes to wear, so I’m glad my overlocker is back in action!

Happy stitching!  I promise to have more actual embroidery done ready to show you in the next week or so!IMG_2624 IMG_2650 IMG_2661 IMG_2663 IMG_2664 IMG_2665 IMG_2668 IMG_2669